Tuesday, January 26, 2010

By Bob Markus

Where is Bing Crosby now that we need him? Nobody could play a priest like Der Bingle. Well, maybe Pat O'Brien could. But what we're looking for here is a young priest and Crosby defined that role. Going My Way, anybody? Besides, we might need a singing priest here. We could be looking at a musical somewhere down the road. We already have the story. Now we need somebody to write the book and another somebody to produce the movie and a third somebody to adapt the movie into a musical unless Mel Brooks decides to do both. In case you missed it, and I almost did considering that my local paper gave it only two sentences in the daily briefing column, a top minor league prospect in the Oakland A's organization is quitting baseball to become a Roman Catholic priest. Now, it's possible that outfielder Grant Desme was never destined to be a major leaguer. He's 23 years old and played last season in A ball. But he was the only player in the minor leagues to produce a 30-30 season--30 homers and 30 steals--and he finished the year by being named Most Valuable Player in the Arizona Fall League. A second round draft pick in 2007, Desme was ranked as Oakland's 8th best prospect by Baseball America.

Desme is giving up a life that for many young men represents the American dream. If he reached the major leagues and played even for a few years he would be earning a million dollars a year or more in this era of inflated salaries. But he has already informed A's General Manager Billy Beane that he intends to enter a seminary this August and, ultimately, enter the priesthood. Desme said that Beane was "understanding and supportive, but it sort of knocked him off his horse." If so, Beane quickly remounted and issued a statement that must have taken at least 30 seconds to compose: "We respect Grant's decision and wish him nothing but the best in his future endeavors." One reason Desme advanced no higher than A ball in his three years as a pro was that injuries robbed him of a large part of his first two years. He says he spent a lot of time thinking during that period and "those injuries were the biggest blessings God ever gave me." He seemed to be fulfilling his promise as a baseball player last season when, finally healthy, he hit .288 with a combined 89 rbis and 31 homers at Kane County (Il.) and Stockton (Cal.) He hit another 11 homers and knocked in 27 runs in 27 games in the Arizona league. In his final game he struck out twice and hit a home run, "which defines my career a little bit. I was doing well, but I wasn't at peace with where I was at."

Baseball has had its Preacher Roe and Johnny Priest but not since the days of Billy Sunday has it had, to my knowledge, an active player morph into a man of God. And any resemblance between Desme and Billy Sunday is purely coincidental. Sunday was a real life Elmer Gantry and might even have been the inspiration for Sinclair Lewis's novel. An old-time Bible thumper, Sunday made more money as a fire and brimstone evangelist than he ever did in his eight seasons as a major league ball player. A lifetime .248 hitter, Sunday was noted for his speed on the basepaths and in his final year swiped 86 bases in a season split between Pittsburgh and Philadelphia. Sunday had been discovered by Cap Anson, the legendary Chicago Cubs manager and first baseman (they were called the White Stockings at the time), while playing town ball in Marshalltown, Iowa, Anson's home town. He played most of his career with the Chicago team and it was in Chicago that he accepted a job at the YMCA for $83 a month, turning down the Phillies' offer of $3,000 for the 1891 season. He eventually would make a more than comfortable living as the Billy Graham of his day, but that was several years down the road.

The life that Grant Desme has chosen for himself is far different than the one that Billy Sunday lived, but he could become almost as celebrated. All it will take is someone to write the book and then, the movie, and, let's see, would Johnny Depp or Robert Downey Jr. be the best choice for the title role?

-0-

There was a time when I was pretty good at picking the Super bowl winner and the final score. In fact, as far as I know, I'm the only writer to win the Super bowl pool two years in a row (Games VI and VII). Noted Cincinnati writer Tom Callahan even wrote a column about me before Super Bowl VIII. I'd usually pick the AFC champion to win the game. While most major newspapers, including my own Chicago Tribune, all but ignored the upstart AFL, I had covered the last pre-Super Bowl AFL championship game, in which the Buffalo Bills beat the Chargers in a yawner in San Diego. I also covered the Oakland Raiders' victory over the Houston Oilers before Super Bowl II and the Jets' win over the Raiders the next year in wind blown Shea Stadium. I knew the AFC was getting stronger and was one of the few who did not predict a Colts' blowout of the Jets before Super Bowl III. I didn't go so far as to pick the Jets, but I did refute the prevailing notion that the Jets had no chance. One Chicago writer even called it 73-0, which, of course, was the score of the Bears' 1940 NFL championship game win over the Washington Redskins. It's been a long time since I've made a public selection for a Super Bowl and I'm pretty out of touch. I'm probably going to root for the Saints. I can remember covering a game in New Orleans when Hank Stram was coaching and, noting that the King Tut exhibit was in town, I wrote that Saints fans didn't need King Tut because they already had King Strut. This incensed many Saints fans, who didn't know that Hank and I were good friends and in fact I had dinner with the Strams after the game. But, sentiment aside, I'm going with my old tried-and-true method and picking the AFC team. Colts, 31; Saints, 20. No blog next week. See you in two weeks and we'll see if I still have the touch.

No comments: